Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I’ve made a donation; when can I expect a receipt?
A: PayPal and donations made through CARF’s website automatically generate a receipt. Receipts for donations made by check will be issued 2 to 4 weeks from the date the donation was received.
Q: I’ve made a donation to sponsor an orphan, when can I expect the orphan card with his/her information? 
A: Orphan cards are mailed 4 to 6 weeks after a sponsorship commitment. Orphan cards are given to donors that commit to $80* a month or $960* a year. If you have made a donation that does not fit this criterion, it will go toward the general orphan fund for support. If you have made a contribution that fits this criterion and have not received a card, please e-mail us to let us know of this oversight.
*These figures are for checks or cash; please add 3% for donations made by credit cards ($82.40 and $988.80) due to bank fees.
Q: Can I send gifts to the orphan I sponsor?
A: The postal system in Iraq is unreliable. The best way to provide orphans with gifts is either to donate for a specific gift (for example Eid) or to send a gift with visitors to Karbala. Visitors should e-mail prior to arrival, and contact CARF in Iraq (+964-782-501-8930). If you’d like to send a gift through DHL, please send it to: Mr. al-Qazwini, al-Sadiq School, Hassainia Road, Bab Baghdad, Karbala, Iraq. Please put the orphans name in a visible spot.
Q: Can I contact the orphan I sponsor?
A: Yes. If the orphan you sponsor is a student at CARF’s school, he/she can be contacted through the school (+964-740-030-3297); however, many of the orphans speak only Arabic.
Q: Does CARF accept khums, fedya, or Eid Zakat?
A: Yes. Half of your khums contribution will be used for poor seyeds and the other half for the organization (unless stated otherwise). For the correct fedya amount, please ask your local Imam. It is 1.5 lbs of a staple and given to the poor.
Q: Can I volunteer in Iraq?
A: CARF welcomes physicians and nurses to volunteers at IHH for a minimum of 2-4 weeks. English language educators may volunteer for 9 months at CARF school. Contact us at for more details.
Q: How can I help others through Development and Relief Foundation?
A: There are several ways to help others through CARF. Please see our Get Involved page for a list of ways you can help.
Q: Do you spend the donations on administration expense?
A: We use less than 6% of our generated funds which mostly come from donations towards administration fees.